breath

"he who saves one saves the world entire" hmm.. it seems my gay fourth grade teacher had a very significant influence in my life. He taught me how to breath and keep a calendar. I descovered I love to organize. He use to take our class out on the wooded mile long fitness trail in the sunny cold crisp Tahoe air. At the end of the trail he would spend 3 whole minutes with us teaching quality deep belly breathing, meditation and guided imagery, usually with a candle flame or water bubbles. This one life skill probably saved my life. So in my heart I embrace this man in gratitude almost daily. I wonder about his teacher.

exercise
* In through the nose, out through the mouth
* Inhale slowly, 2, 3, 4, *deeper, hold, hold, hold, *exhale slowly through the lips with a slight 'P' sound.
* In, 2, 3. 4, hold, 2, 3, 4, out, 2, 3, 4. Three deep cleansing breaths.

Calm: We tend to be shallow breathers, hold our breath, or breath with our chest instead of our stomach. If you can get that really deep fat belly breath, and hold it, you can feel all your muscles and tension release on the exhale. When ever you think of it.. breath.
* * *
According to wordspy and Eastern medicine our left nostril is the moon, and the right nostril is the sun. You can help balance yin & yan by plugging one nostril. Breath through the left for calm, the right for activation. Notice which side is plugged when you wake in the morning. lol

4 comments:

julia said...

We ARE shallow breathers--the PT at the pain clinic gave me that belly breathing technique, said it will calm me and even improve mood--what a valuable thing to learn so young!

molly said...

"calm and improve mood." Yes, most of us don't really know how to pray properly. Breathing is an exercise that is encorporated into prayer to help us connect with the Now, the present moment, were there is peace, or heaven on earth. "The kingdom of heaven is at hand", meaning it is here Now, in the present moment. Read 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. Thank you so much for sharing, jle! :)

julia said...

Welcome. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hah, I never knew that about your fourth grade teacher. Hooo boy. The man must've needed to breathe, I'm sure!

Good techniques though, and they really are calming.